Saturday 4 April 2020

One good thing - 4th April 2020


I was able to take a longer walk today, though still directly from home.  As last weekend, the Correen Hills were chosen to give good exercise with some wider views.  Pulling out of the forest, the light was dull and flat and a southerly wind which was the opposite direction from the previous week was quite raw.  Everything looked muted and dull and I wondered if I'd made the right choice.





But then I stopped and listened.  Meadow Pipits were singing on their parachuting display flights, Snipe were making their "chip chip" ground calls and several overhead were in full display and making the weird noise with their outer tail feathers which gives them the nickname "air goats".  Skylarks were pouring out a torrent of cascading song from high above me, clear and carrying despite the wind.  A little further on and a Red Grouse burst from cover with it's distinctive "go-beck, go-beck" call.  And almost immediately, a gruff bark gave away a Roe buck bounding away; usually found in or near cover, I often see them on the open moor here.

A dull day was transformed by the sounds around me, the walk enhanced and enlivened.

No comments:

Post a Comment