Thursday 16 April 2020

One good thing - 16th April 2020



Under the current restrictions it's not possible to make backpacking or sea kayak trips, but that doesn't necessarily mean that camping is completely off limits.  During a lovely evening I decided to pitch the tent and camp in the back garden, the most micro of "microadventures".  There's normally very little noise from passing cars where we live, but even for here the lack of traffic was notable.






I settled in at my usual bed time and slept really well, woken just once when one of our neighbour's cows decided that she needed a drink from the trough over the wall at 3am...it was so quiet I could clearly hear the water gurgling down into one of her stomachs!

I woke to a somewhat grey and damp morning, but also to a glorious dawn chorus of birdsong - which is surely a good thing.  I got up, walked all of 20 metres to the house to shower and get breakfast; and then was back at my computer working.

As the lockdown has now been extended a further three weeks, I plan to either camp or bivvy once a week in the garden - a micro-microadventure.

2 comments:

  1. That's one way to beat the restrictions. The likes of us- hill-walkers- could walk all day, every day, and never meet anybody, especially on the lower ranges but of course it has to be a blanket ban on everyone. No doubt when we eventually go back to normal I'll get out walking again and still never come within touching distance of any humans all year. A normal occurrence for me anyway if I travel in my own car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's been the case on most of my longer walks Bob, though there are noticeably more folk out walking on the country roads, tracks and riverbank. Maybe that will be a lasting legacy of the pandemic, which wouldn't be a bad thing

    ReplyDelete