Friday 1 November 2013

Sea Kayaking with Gordon Brown Volume 3


My copy of this new DVD arrived in the post a couple of weeks ago, but until now I've not had time to sit and watch much of it.

This is the third DVD in the series made by Gordon Brown of Skyak and film-maker and producer Simon Willis of Sunart Media.  The premiere was at the Paddle 13 event in Perth on the last weekend of October.

Rather than attempt to write a review, I'm going to link to the in-depth review by Dr Douglas Wilcox.  I wholeheartedly agree with all that Douglas has put in his review; and I'd only add the following points:

1.    There is something for every sea kayaker in this DVD, most obviously in the Emergency Situations section, but really throughout the DVD.  There are real gems of information about emergency kit, navigation and dealing with what happens when the sh*t hits the fan.  The rolling section is innovative and an approach I'm going to try to use to nail my own roll.

2.   The fact that Simon and Gordon have released a free version of the Emergency Situations section speaks volumes about both of them and will be an important (freely available) resource for years to come - even for those who don't buy the DVD


If you've not got a copy of the DVD, you can purchase it from seakayakingwithgordonbrown.com

Personal interest statement:

 Like Douglas, I'm a friend of both Simon and Gordon and took part in the journey to St Kilda which formed part of Volume 2 of the series.  However, if  I thought that this DVD was below par in any way I'd still have commented honestly to that effect - and it isn't, it's a really professional and informative product !

2 comments:

  1. Mine arrived a few weeks ago I was saving it for Christmas ! but Iam not sure I can wait that long !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Open the box, open the box !! :o)

    ReplyDelete