Lismore Lighthouse was completed in 1833, and is a white tower 26 metres high carrying a light at an elevation of 31 metres. It flashes white every 10 seconds and has a range of 17 nautical miles.
The principal engineer for the light was Robert Stevenson of the famous "Lighthouse Stevensons" family. One of the Stevensons was the author Robert Louis Stevenson. In another literary connection, the first Principal Keeper of the light was a Mr Robert Selkirk, descendant of Alexander Selkirk who was the inspiration for Daniel Defoe's "Robinson Crusoe".
Viewed from the island, the lighthouse buildings are strikingly symmetrical. The keepers accommodation certainly didn't appear cramped, and there's a courtyard in front of the tower. Farther back across the small bridge are two fields enclosed by high drystone dykes, for either some vegetables or perhaps some livestock. Gardens in front of the main cottages still show some traces of flower beds.
The Northern Lighthouse Board are currently doing maintenance work at the light; the whitewash was positively shining in the morning sun.