Tuesday 19 March 2019

Scarpa Moraine Plus GTX shoes - Long Term Review

An outdoor company's designation of  "Approach shoe" can mean anything from an ultralight trainer style shoe to a semi rigid shoe almost suited to rock climbing.  A good pair of approach shoes (in my view) should sit somewhere between the two extremes and be suitable in a whole variety of situations They should offer day-long comfort, be reasonably hard wearing and offer good support without feeling rigid.

I've used Scarpa products for many years because they just seem to fit me well and although certainly not cheap the brand does make a quality product.  This review  is based on wearing the Moraine Plus GTX shoes for a full year.  Used daily for commuting and travel, they have also been worn on short walks, on long day walks at lower levels, around camp on sea kayak trips, for shopping, casual wear and just about everything else in between.  My original pair have just about got to the stage of being replaced - and I've purchased another pair of the Moraines.



Up to 2019 the colour scheme was a smart grey with blue trim - the 2019 version is brown with an orange trim.  The uppers are 1.6mm Nubuck leather with a Goretex Extended Comfort membrane lining.  For comparison, the R-Evo GTX walking boot from the same company has a 1.8mm upper.  The weight of a UK size 8 (Euro 42) pair is 930 grams, so these shoes don't fall into the lightweight category, but neither do they seem particularly heavy.

Construction is up to Scarpa's usually high standard.  The midsole is bi-density EVA which gives a good mix of shock absorption and support.  Straight from the box the shoes are comfortable and supportive.  Initially the heel strike feels quite firm but this isn't noticeable after a short time.  The walking action is nice and natural and I've experienced no discomfort or "hotspots" at all.  There's a TPU shank in the midsole under the central part of the foot for lateral support and this works very well - it can be seen clearly on airport X-Ray machines if you are required to remove the shoes at the security search area!

Perhaps the strongest point in favour of the Moraine Plus GTX is that I simply forget I'm wearing them.  They are comfortable even on long days and unlike some Goretex lined footwear I've not felt them to be over warm.  Within the limitations of a low-cut shoe they've also been waterproof; the only times I've experienced a wet foot is when water has come in at my ankle.





The style of the shoe is more substantial than a trainer and probably closer to a walking boot in design -in fact there's a mid height version available too.  The rubber rand at the toe does the job of protecting the Nubuck from bashes and scrapes.  The Vibram Dynatech 3 sole gives great grip on most surfaces (but be careful on shiny floors when they're brand new!) and the well defined heel breast is very effective when going down steep inclines.

After a years wear, I felt that it was time to replace my original pair of Moraines and after saving up a bit (see last paragraph!) I had no hesitation in purchasing another pair. 





In this image the new pair are nearest the camera with the well-worn pair farthest away.  Some abrasion and fading on the uppers is obvious but the shoes certainly aren't damaged in any way - all stitching is intact and there isn't even any fraying on the laces.





The soles have worn pretty well - I walk approximately 50km on a variety of terrain during a typical week (excluding any specific hillwalking) and the Moraines have been in daily use - so the wear shown here represents over 2500km of walking.  I wear the heel of my left foot more than any other part of a shoe due to my gait and (as expected) this has worn significantly; otherwise the level of wear is certainly not excessive.





I've found the Scarpa Moraine Plus GTX to be a well-designed, quality approach shoe which is comfortable on a range of terrain.  They've lasted well - the old pair will be relegated to gardening and will probably still be going for a long time to come.

Retailing at £155 in the UK for the 2019 version, the Moraines are pitched as a premium product.  For me, the quality, performance and comfort of these shoes outweighs the high price. 

Conflict of interest statement:  I purchased both pairs of shoes at retail price (less a small club discount) from a national outdoor equipment retailer and have no connection with Scarpa or the retailer apart from being a satisfied customer.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review. I have slightly wide feet..duck like. Is the front box generous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      The toe section is fairly generous(Scarpa seem to design shoes for a "British" foot which is fairly broad) but not as generous as, say, some models by Keen

      Hope this helps!

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your review, Ive just ordered pair online due to shops being shut and I cant wear my Scarpa Terra boots when the weather gets too warm. Fingers crossed they are as good as you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie, I hope you like them; if you have Scarpa boots already, the fit will probably be familiar. Please do comment on how you find the Moraines!

      Kind Regards

      Delete
  3. Great review, thank you for taking the time to do this.
    I needed a replacement for my Keen's and, as my last pair didn't fare as well as previous pairs, I decided to look elsewhere for a wider than average walking shoe. These aren't as wide as the Keen's (but what is) though the toe box is a good width, they also have excellent support and traction. I'm a size 9 so go for a 43 usually which I did in these. I'd say they're just about right but I could've maybe gone for a 44 though I suspect I would've traded some support for the extra room. I'm confident once they've softened up a bit they'll be as close to perfect as I could have hoped for.
    I'm both pleased and relieved, thanks again for your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for taking the time to post some feedback, and I'm really glad that this review provided some info towards your choice.

    As a postscript to this review, I still use the Moraine GTX for daily use as described above, and have been using a pair of Scarpa Vortex walking shoes for the last four months on walks where a full boot isn't required - they sit somewhere between the Moraines and a boot like the R-Evo and thee will be a long term review of them in the future

    Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ian, I've just read your review which is very helpful as I'm on the point of buying either the Scarpa Moraine GTX or Vortex XCR, online - due to shopping restrictions etc. The shoes are for recreational weekend walks in Saddleworth and Rochdale;they're usually less than 5 miles but over moorland/fells/hills and some of the terrain is quite challenging and very muddy. From your comments I get the impression the Moraine should be adequate and has a lighter sole which I would favour? Also, I'm a size 8 so assume that 42 is the best equivalent?
    Any feedback is appreciated. Great pics on your website BTW.
    Thanks.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, and thanks for your kind words! For the type of walking you've described I'd personally choose the Vortex XCR, I'll be posting a long term review of my pair soon as they've been in use for most of 2020 and have clocked up around 2500km of walking. The Vortex seems to me to sit somewhere between the Moraine and a full boot - they're outstanding on rough ground. I'm also a UK size 8 and the 42 is a perfect fit - hope this helps!

      Kind Regards

      Ian

      Delete
    2. Hi Ian,thanks for replying so quickly. I've taken your advice and ordered the Vortex XCR from OutdoorGB (other retailers are available).I'll keep an eye out for your review and maybe post some comments when I've worn my pair in.

      Cheers.

      Michael



      Michael

      Delete
  6. Hi, Ian, is there any difference between the Moraine gtx and the Moraine Plus gtx?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, the main difference is that the Moraine Plus GTX is 1.6mm Nubuck leather and the Moraine GTX is mesh and suede, which is likely to be lighter and a bit more breathable, but maybe not so robust and hardwearing

      Kind Regards

      Delete