Monday 2 January 2017

Memories of 2016

The turn of a year is a time to look forward to the possibilities and challenges ahead, but also to reflect on the year past. I've once again been very fortunate in having enjoyed some superb days and nights in Scotland's great outdoors.  As in previous years, I couldn't select just one memory from 2016 - so here are four.... :o)






A multi-day trip to Iona and the Ross of Mull was blessed with the most tremendous quality of light - the combination of brilliant sunshine and blue sky set off the pink granite, white sands and aquamarine sea for which the area is known.

Gorgeous beaches, stunning primary colours, a rich history and one of the best possible sea kayaking locations.......





...... and have I mentioned the colours?!






We were to experience colour in a different palette on another multi-day trip, a kaleidoscope of warm autumn shades - this one I'm still to write up on the blog.  The trip included one of the most perfect evenings imaginable; our friend Lorna put all our thoughts into a single quiet phrase - "Just look around us........this is the best place in the world..."

In the interests of balance, I've been out in some truly elemental weather too - rain of impressive intensity on the Moray Firth and a trip on Kintyre with Douglas which had just about everything in terms of weather plus an adrenaline-inducing crossing.....


There have been good days on the hill too, although perhaps not as many as I'd have liked - something to correct in 2017.




At a shade over 500 metres high, it isn't the biggest hill, but quite an undertaking if you happen to be at Primary School!  A day climbing Bennachie in the company of 55 small hillwalkers was one of the most enjoyable days I've spent on any hill.


But, if pushed for the single trip which is a stand-out of 2016 it has to be the first multi-day trip of the year.....





Over four days Mike, Douglas and I paddled around and took our boats over the island of Jura.  Spectacularly wild coasts, fast tidal streams, bothy nights and brilliant weather; this trip was a long-held ambition and it totally exceeded the high hopes I had.






It also included one of the most striking landscapes anywhere in Britain - and one that few people even know about - just a remarkable trip.

A huge and heartfelt thank you to everyone with whom I've enjoyed the outdoors in 2016 - from struggles in tough conditions to nights around the fire - the experiences are all the better for sharing with friends - Slainte Mhath and a very happy New Year!

8 comments:

  1. And thank YOU, Ian for taking us all along through this medium, and for encouraging us to fulfil those "outdoor" dreams. Happy New Year to you and Linda from us both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Duncan - here's to 2017 and all it's possibilities

    a very happy New Year to you both

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to 2017 and some more great trips together already Ian :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping Douglas, and it'll need to be some year to match the trips in 2016!

      :o)

      Delete
  4. Great photos Ian. I'm intrigued by your sails having unsuccessfully experimented with DIY versions myself over the summer as professional types like you have wouldn't fit my kayak. I'll work something else out though eventually. Good to see D.W. is still paddling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, our sails are Australian designed and manufactured rigs from "Flat Earth Kayak Sails". Sadly, Mick McRobb who owned the business passed away recently. His design flair and expert sail cutting skills are what really makes the rigs so versatile and effective.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year Ian. I can't believe my beach surfing crash didn't make the top four! Lol It's one of my favourite memories. It makes me laugh every time I think back and picture you running to rescue me from the waves and sand with great concern. Thanks for making my 2016 year a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you Linda - the day spent with D, J and you on the Moray Firth in brilliant summer conditions is a great memory of the year.... the surf run onto Sunnyside Beach was just about perfect until the last few metres! :o)

      I'm so glad you had an enjoyable day despite the brief dip!

      :o)

      Delete